Workshop: “Deep Learning for Better Understanding: Leveraging deep learning for machine translation”
09th of December 2021
The theme of ICIIS 2021 year is “Deep Learning for Deep Understanding”. Accordingly, this workshop will focus on use of Deep Neural Network based methods for machine translation and a discussion on machine translation in a local context.
Brief Introduction to the workshop
Decreasing the language barrier can lead to better understanding among different communities. Machine Translation(MT) can be defined as automated translation from one natural language (e.g Tamil) to another natural language (e.g. Sinhalese). Machine translation may involve tackling some unique (thereby interesting) challenges, because it is not simply a word to word translation, but involves understanding a text as a whole: both syntax and semantics.
In this workshop, participants will learn about different types of MT, interesting problems in the domain, and techniques for MT based on deep learning.
|10.30 a.m-10.50 a.m||Introduction to Machine Translation||Eng. Sampath Deegalla|
|10.50 a.m. -11.50 a.m.||Deep Learning techniques for Machine Translation||Prof. Gihan Dias|
|11.50 a.m-12.20 a.m.||Applications/Open Problems||TBD|
|1.00 p.m-1.30 p.m||Emerging trends in machine translations and future directions.||Dr. Jindřich Libovický|
|1.30 p.m-2.30 p.m||Discussion||Moderator: Dr Maheshi Dissanayake|
Dr. Surangika Ranatunge
Prof. Mahesan Niranjan
Dr. Tharindu Ranasinghe
Dr. Ruvan Weerasinghe
- Prof. Gihan Dias, Professor, Department of Computer Science & EngineeringUniversity of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
- Prof. Mahesan Niranjan, Professor at University of Southampton, United Kingdom
- Dr. Jindřich Libovický, Center for Information and Language processing, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- Dr. Ruvan Weerasinghe, Senior Lecturer, Head of Language Technology Research Laboratory, University of Colombo School of Computing, Sri Lanka
- Dr. Surangika Ranatunge, Senior Lecturer, Department of Computer Science & Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
- Eng. Sampath Deegalla, Senior Lecturer, Department of Computer Engineering, University of Peradeniya
- Dr. Tharindu Ranasinghe, Lecturer, University of Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
- Dr Damayanthi Herath, Senior Lecturer, Department of Computer Engineering, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- Dr Maheshi Dissanayake, Senior Lecturer, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka